Thursday 5 December 2013

Bullying in the British Council

Hi Bloggers,

I used to be involved with BC for some of their examinations.  As part of it, I remember once doing an online Child Protection Awareness course, which was very commendable.  As it happened, it wasn't particularly relevant to me personally, as I no longer taught children, nor were there any Kids classes where I was working. 

However, what interested me about the course was that there were several threads that almost exactly corresponded with bullying in the workplace, which was something I myself experienced during my time with the British Council.  It's a pity the British Council don't do a similar course for that.  I suppose it's not as high profile and is also purely internal.  Nevertheless, they do need to have some kind of program in place.

At present, they try to deal with it informally first, and then you have the option to make a grievance if all this fails.  What they don't have is an independent person or body to look at the situation.  What this means is that one has to complain first to one's immediate supervisors.  But what if they are they very ones you feel you are being bullied by?

Generally, managers within the BC close ranks if one of their own is criticized.  They're extremely hypocritical in this respect.  Trying to get anyone to take you seriously is almost impossible. Basically, they will fob you off with banal generalisations, like it's good to listen to feedback and criticism, or I don't know enough about the background or simply pass the buck to someone else.  In fact, this is exactly what the regional head, Andrew Spells, did to me.  No one will take up your cause.  They will do everything they can to block you.  Your only hope may be the Teachers' Rep, but, in reality, he has almost no power, as he is basically just another teacher.

Another thing is that bullying is often vague and ill-defined, and usually difficult to prove.  Often it's just a sustained attitude of treating someone as being of no value.  It can often be an accumulation of small incidents. It's also difficult to report because you may feel fazed by the bully and fear further reprisal.   I remember I tried to bring it up with the deputy centre manager where I was working (Ian Shears) because I felt I was getting unfair treatment from my line manager, but incredibly he just ignored me, not even calling me in for a chat.  Instead, in the end he wrote me this amazing email, in which he had come to the conclusion that no bullying was taking place, since he had observed my interaction with the alleged bully, my line manager.  But obviously a bully is going to behave correctly when he knows he's being observed.  What happens behind closed doors may be completely different.  Another thing the manager did was to copy the bully in on my original email, which he did out of "courtesy" to the latter, with absolutely no regard for my right to confidentiality.  There was certainly no courtesy towards me.  Needless to say, my relationship with the bully worsened significantly, the final result being a career damning end of year report.

So my suggestion is that they have an unbiased independent officer or body, similar to that prescribed for Child Protection, to look at any grievance of this nature.  This is important because it will remove the possibility of managers closing ranks and put them under some pressure to live up to British Council standards.  They need to be accountable just like anyone else.

5 comments:

  1. British Council is rife with bullying-I know one DTCM who is a known and untalented bully-My bullying was so bad and racist but was brushed under the carpet even though 7 members of my team witnessed and supported my allegations-The horrible woman is still being fast tracked higher up BC which will eventually be part of the downfall of an organisation who haemorrhages talented staff for more cronyism and untalented but experienced ( processes) staff who play the system. So sad as they have some wonderful people.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Too true. What I noticed was that if you try to bring up an issue about anything, British Council managers will close ranks. Despite all their "values" and "standards" no BC manager will be interested in your case in the slightest. You will just be expected to tow the line.

    ReplyDelete
  3. By the way, what is the lady in question's name? And what centre did this occur in?

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is interesting to read this. I was subjected to bullying by a manager and a colleague. I asked for help and was refused any assistance. I tried escalating and despite clear evidence was basically told to shut up and put up. It had a massive psychological impact. Even teacher's reps sided with management, so I was left totally isolated as there's no union or other way to get support. I'm still dealing with fallout, hence doing this anonymously, for fear of reprisals.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for your comment. I'm not at all surprised to hear this. Basically, no one within the management will take your side in a dispute. They're all too busy looking after their own interests and it's part of BC culture never to criticise another manager. I understand you want to keep your name confidential, but could you at least say which centre it was? I try to mention managers' names as much as possible on this blog. Feel free to send me an email.

    ReplyDelete